Three ways to cut welfare
- Tighten eligibility criteria so fewer people can claim
- Reduce the actual amounts payable to specific claimants
- Create an economy where fewer people need to claim welfare
Which ways are the Tories pursuing?
(3) is more difficult as it requires imagination and requires an acceptance of the idea that government has a wider role than many Tories want to accept.
(1) and (2) cause hardship – but does it matter if “scroungers”, “immigrants” (and the working poor) are the only people affected?
(1) and (2) benefit the economy only in as much as they decrease immediate government spending.
(3) Is long-term and the results probably won’t be seen before the next election…. Ah, I understand.