Gideon’s Dictionary: Spare Bedroom
Every emperor, or prospective emperor, has to give the appearance of having “the common touch”. In view of the restricted background of our potential new emperor, I offer him a dictionary in the hope that studying it will help him understand the people he wishes to rule.
- (n) A room in a home that is not normally occupied – and thus available for occupation by overnight guests. Popular amongst parents as a means of trying to ensure visiting boyfriends sleep in an appropriate place. Also used as:
- a workroom for entrepreneurs, or
- a quiet place in which schoolchildren can study, or
- a music room, or
- a place to store items such as boxes (hence box room), gym equipment, disability assistance equipment
- (n – obscure – social rented housing only) A liability which instead of offering the social advantages listed above is used as a coercive means to make people in socially rented property (see Rent) move houses – which can also disrupt social networks and children’s schooling.